Monday, January 19, 2009

Uganda so Far....

I have been here for almost a week now and feel like I have adjusted pretty well. I was really tired the first few days, but am now on a good sleeping schedule. My trip over here was long, but it went very smoothly! Since being here, we have not left Kampala since we are still waiting on Evan to be born! Being in Kampala, I can tell that I am not in America, but I also don't feel quite like I am in Africa. Kampala has a lot of "American" aspects to it in a sense. We have gone out to eat a lot and gone to the mall as well. While driving down the streets here there is a lot going on. There are tons of people walking, lots of people on motorcycles, and lots of people driving! It is pretty intense and there is no way I would have any desire to be behind the wheel of a car here! There are lots of people on the street trying to sale all sorts of items, and they will walk right up to your car and stand there until you nod your head no. I feel like there is a lot going on, and that people have a lot of good ideas, but they do not know how to execute them. The city looks like it is in transition, maybe waiting for something better. It is just strange.

We went to Aimee's doctor last week and that was different. The office was very small and hot!! Her doctor was very nice, but I had a hard time understanding what he was saying to me. I have a funny story...while there, a mother was going to weigh her baby. And in order to weigh a child here, you put them in a cloth seat, and hang them from the scale. Well, this mother had gotten her baby girl naked, and as she was taking her baby out of the sling/seat the baby peed all over the floor. There was a lot of pee!! And the mother just walked off and left it. I can not even tell you how many people proceeded to walk through that little girls pee. It drove me crazy that no one was cleaning it up!!

I am having a very fun time with Anaiah Dawn!! She is so cute and so loving. It took her a few days to get used to me, but now I think we are good friends! She is one dramatic little girl, and that just makes me laugh! She is full of laughter and loves to be a part of our adult conversations. She gives Evan the sweetest kisses on Aimee's belly, we shall see how she treats him once he is here!! She loves to watch baby einstein videos and gets sooo excited when one is being put in for her! I love her so much and am so thankful we are getting to bond and know each other!

Aimee is doing pretty well, she is ready to have the baby though. And today would be a great day, it is cool and rainy. So she would not be too hot! She and I have been watching a lot of Jon and Kate plus 8 and last night we watched MamaMia, and she really liked it! Andrew is going crazy here and is ready to be back in Fort Portal!! So he has been playing on the computers a lot! We are all hangin in there, lets pray for a new baby to come very soon!!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Amanda, I'm excited to hear about your adventures in Africa! I'm so glad you get to spend time with your family and I'll pray that Evan makes his appearance soon!

brenda said...

I remember the "mall". I am so glad we can talk about our experiences! Have you had african tea? Its sooo good!

mamajoy said...

I am glad you are getting acquainted with Anaiah and seeing all the drama a 16th month has to offer. I am so grateful you are able to be there. And now that Evan has arrived I know we are all relieved and thankful, God is indeed good. . Grandma Joy

BrianFarris said...

I love you Amanda. Good news Friday - baby Evan arrived! Thanks for beig family when the rest of us are too far.

We need some pics from Africa on your blog!